Are you thinking of organising your own volunteering abroad?
Before you start on your international volunteering adventure, why not watch these short films first...?
Here are our top 10 things to consider before signing up to a project:
1. Community Ownership - is what you're going to be involved with actually going help a community?
2. Sustainability - will the project support people for years to come?
3. Impact - will your volunteering actually make a difference to local people?
4. Displacement and Cost of Volunteers - is the project likely to spend more on itself than helping people?
5. Representation - are the people your helping represented in some way?
6. Accountability - who is taking responsibility for the work and its outcomes?
7. Finances - do you know where any funds raised go?
8. Preparation of the Volunteer - have you been given all the info you'll need?
9. Skills Matching - is your volunteering matched to your abilities and capabilities?
10. Detailed De-brief - will there be a summing-up of all the good you've done?
We support the Better Volunteering Better Care campaign which aims to stop all orphanage volunteering. For more information, click here.
To help you decide which volunteering project you should get involved with, have a look at these useful links:
For the 2017/18 academic year, we will not be promoting any overseas volunteering organisations or charities. If you are interested in working with us for the next academic year 2018/2019, please click here to see our Work With Us Checklist.