House with a tick

Right to Rent Checks

When you apply to rent your home in England your landlord or letting agent will ask for additional information from you so they can complete a 'Right to Rent' check, but what does it mean?

As part of the Immigration Act 2014, landlords are required to check their tenants' immigration status before offering a tenancy agreement to make sure that the tenant has a 'right to rent’, meaning that they are in the country legally as a UK citizen, EU or EEA national or have valid immigration permission to be in the UK. 

You have a right to rent if:

  • You are a UK/EEA/Swiss national; or
  • You have the right to be in the UK under EEA law; or
  • You have valid immigration permission to be in the UK; or
  • You do not have valid immigration permission to be in the UK but you have been granted 'permission to rent' by the UK government (this only applies in exceptional circumstances).

Everyone should be asked so make sure that you have your documentation ready when you are ready to sign up to a property.  

If you are a UK/ EEA/Swiss national, you will need to show a passport or national identity card.

Family members of EEA citizen/Swiss national need to show EEA family permit or residence card, and people with permission to be in the UK need to show passport containing a valid visa, or a valid biometric residence permit (BRP)

Landlords are not allowed to discriminate when offering accommodation, so they need to check everybody's right to rent.  

More detailed information is available from the UKCISA website or come and speak to an ASK adviser if you have any questions. 

Click here to go to the NUS page about Right to Rent.