Two people shaking hands over a desk


Many students find part-time jobs to help with expenses, enhance their CV, and to gain experience for the future.


What are the benefits of working while I'm a student?

There are a number of benefits to working during your studies. The most obvious is the boost to your income, but others can include:

  • Enhancing your CV.
  • Gaining experience in the workplace and developing skills that will help your employability in the future.
  • You may gain work experience for your planned career and to supplement your studies, such as through an internship.
  • Making new friends.
  • Building up contacts for the future.
  • Exploring your interests.

Where can I find a part-time job?

The University’s Careers and Employability Service has a job database to help you find flexible part-time work in the Keele area. They are also a valuable resource for developing your employability skills. You can access practical guidance and support on writing your CV, completing job applications, and preparing for interviews.

How many hours can I work?

There is no limit for home students but it is recommended that you don't work more than 15 hours a week to ensure the job doesn't negatively impact on your course. 

International students on a Tier 4 visa must be careful not to go over their work limit of 10 hours a week for Foundation Year or pre-sessional courses and 20 hours a week for their main degree. You can read more about working on a Tier 4 visa on the University's website. If you're not sure whether your work is permitted, email the Visa team for advice at


How do I get a National Insurance number?

UK students have already been assigned a National Insurance number - if you've lost it you can fill in a form or phone a helpline to ask for it to be sent to you. Details about lost National Insurance numbers are on the government website.

If you are a Tier 4 student and you have a biometric residence permit (BRP), you might have a National Insurance number already. Check the back of your BRP to see if the number is on the back of your card - it will look like two letters, six numbers, then one letter. If you don't have a National Insurance number, you must apply for one if you want to work. Information about applying is on the government website.