National Insurance

National Insurance


If you intend to work whilst studying at Keele, any employer will require you to provide them with your National Insurance Number (NI), so that they can pay your wages and make any applicable tax and National Insurance Deductions.


A National Insurance Number is made up of a contribution of letters and numbers; two letters six numbers and then another letter e.g. JZ 56 27 96 D.


For information regarding Tax and NI contributions have a look at this webpage or or contact the Jobshop. If you are a European or international student studying at Keele you will not have a National Insurance Number and you will need to apply for one.


How to Apply

If you have a visa that gives you the right to work in the UK (which most student visas do) you can call to apply for a NI number. When you call they will take some of your personal details, they will then post you an application form to complete and return. You must return the completed form signed with clear photocopies of the personal details page and current visa page of your passport. The form must be returned within two weeks of receiving it otherwise you will have to re-apply (the return deadline date will be on the letter you receive with the application form). You should be notified of the outcome of your application within 2 weeks. YOU CAN STILL APPLY FOR AND START WORK DURING THIS TIME.

Call: 0800 141 2075


If you do not have a current visa that gives you the right to work in the UK you will need to make an interview with the Jobseekers Direct Contact Centre to arrange an interview.YOU DO NOT NECESSARILY NEED TO HAVE SECURED A JOB BEFORE APPLYING FOR A NI NUMBER HOWEVER ONCE YOU GET A JOB YOU MUST APPLY FOR AN NI.

Call: 0345 6000 643


Lost your National Insurance Number? 

You can find it on your payslip, P60 or tax return.  If you still cannot find it you can fill in a CA5403 Form and send it to the address on the form.




Contact Jobshop on  Tel: 01782 734800  or  Email: