Working Abroad

Where and how to find vacancies when aboard

Where to look for vacancies will vary from country to country, but here are some good starting points wherever you want to work...


Where to find vacancies

  • Country profiles - provide information on the job market and sources of vacancies for countries worldwide.
  • EURES Job Search - has a huge database of jobs from more than 30 European countries.
  • Europages and Kompass - online directories with links to companies in Europe and worldwide.
  • Jobs Abroad - provides a database of job vacancies around the world.
  • Professional online journals, magazines and newspapers usually have a jobs section. Look at these to see which employers are active in your chosen country or area.
  • Use the websites of professional bodies for the sector you want to work in. If you can't find the appropriate organisation, contact the UK equivalent for suggestions.

Issues you need to think about..



  • Check the relevant foreign embassy in the UK for specific information about visas and other legal requirements. Contact details for all foreign embassies in the UK are available at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) .


Health & Insurance

  • The UK has reciprocal healthcare arrangements with most European countries, which means that UK citizens are entitled to free or reduced-cost medical treatment. If you're working in a European Economic Area (EEA) country, you will need to obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to qualify.
  • Outside the EEA, you will generally have to pay for medical treatment. It is advisable to investigate healthcare costs and options for getting health insurance. A country-by-country guide to entitlements is available from NHS Country Guidance .
  • If you require vaccinations, check with your GP when you need to receive them.
  • Getting adequate travel insurance before you go is very important. It can help you get practical, as well as financial, assistance abroad should something go wrong. Prices and levels of cover vary widely, so it is worth shopping around.

Transferability of qualifications

  • Your qualifications might not be clearly understood by potential employers, unfamiliar with the UK education system. In a bid to help with this, Europass , a European-wide initiative, provides a portfolio of five documents which serve to increase the transparency of people's competencies, skills and qualifications through a standardised format.
  • Overseas employers may place value on different factors compared with UK employers, so you'll need to tailor applications appropriately


  • Unless your employer is organising accommodation overseas on your behalf, you should look into housing opportunities and any property regulations that may affect you.
  • Be extremely careful of handing over money in advance. If in doubt, take someone with you who speaks the language when viewing properties, so they can help with questions and contract terms. Don't sign anything you don't understand and get it translated if necessary.
  • The Association of International Property Professionals (AIPP) has a searchable database of members, which will help you identify estate agents to contact.

Some other work abroad organisations and jobs can be found at: