Working In The UK

Who can work where for how long while studying in the UK

The UK Border Agency generally dictates who can work whilst in the UK whilst they study and if they have any restrictions on the type of work they can do, what hours they can do etc.


International Students

Full guidance and information about working in the UK whilst you study can be found at The UK Council for International student Affairs (UKCISA).

EEA Students

If you are a student from a European Economic Area (EEA) country or a Swiss National you do not need permission to work in the UK.  The EEA includes these countries:
  • Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.
  • Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway are not members of the European Union (EU) but the European Economic Area Agreement gives national of these countries the same rights to enter, live and work in the UK as EU citizens.
You will not have a National Insurance Number, however If you take work in the UK you will need to apply for one, go to the Income Tax and National Insurance pages of this website for details and how to apply.

Prevention of Illegal Working Info

The UKBA Agency generally dictates what ID all people have to show to apply to work in the UK. Visit the page for more details of what you need to provide can be found

Info for All Students

‘Prevention of Illegal Working 1st May 2004’

Due to changes in the law May 2004 all 'potential employees' will be required to provide certain forms of ID to all potential employers. Depending on where you are from will depend what type of ID you can use. The Home Office has produced 2 lists of acceptable ID that you can provide to an employer the most common and easiest ORIGINAL forms of ID to provide are below. There are other options for proof of ID, the full list is provided on the Home Office Website
FULL* Birth Certificate AND National Insurance Number
(National Insurance Card or P60 or previous pay slip)
A National Identity Card

*What is the difference between a short birth certificate and full birth certificate?

A full birth certificate is a copy of all the details contained in the register and, depending on the date of registration shows the following:
  • Name, date and place of birth
  • Sex
  • Father's name and occupation
  • Mother's name and maiden surname
  • Both parents' places of birth (birth registered after 1969)
  • Mother's usual address(birth registered after 1969)
  • Mother's occupation (birth registered after 1995)
Short certificates are extracts of the information contained in the register. A short birth certificate shows only the name, sex, date and district of birth. No parents' details are shown.

Full certificates from adoption, consular and armed forces records contain slightly different information, check with the Jobshop if you have any of these.