Volunteering Opportunities with Staffordshire Women’s Aid
Staffordshire Women’s Aid have asked us to share with you a range of volunteering opportunities that you can become involved with.
Staffordshire Women’s Aid is a charity that that since 1976 have supported women in the borough who suffer from domestic violence and sexual abuse.
Firstly the charity calls for those who can spare time throughout the year help with fundraising, as seen in the role below:
Time Commitment: Flexible throughout the year, can include evenings / weekends
Supporting Staffordshire Women’s Aid’s Fundraising and Awareness Events. Examples include a sponsored Zumbathon, Teddy Bear’s Tea Party and Charity Disco.
- Representing the charity and acting as an ambassador for Staffordshire Women’s Aid at events
- Setting up venues and clearing away at the end, greeting participants, helping to set up refreshments and buffets selling raffle tickets, running stalls etc.
- Providing support at supermarket bag packing events in order to raise funds and awareness of Staffordshire Women’s Aid
The following roles on offer are ongoing and require time of up to and over 12 months. They also require a DBS check and the attendance of training courses. Reasonable travel expenses are provided.
These roles are suitable for students who have one or more year left of study and wish to build valuable work experience develop mentoring and support skills.
Time Commitment: Minimum one 4 hour morning or afternoon shift per week
Location: Staffordshire Women’s Aid HQ – Stafford.
Role Description: Our helpline is the first point of contact for agencies and service users alike.
Our helpline is available 24 hours a day, 352 days a year. During office hours, the helpline is predominantly run by a group of dedicated volunteers who are fully trained to respond to the varied calls received.
- To log and record all helpline calls
- To take self-referrals and referrals from other professionals for all Staffordshire Women’s Aid services and record them appropriately
- To offer advice and information as appropriate
- Offer emotional support as appropriate
- To signpost callers to other services / agencies where appropriate and relevant
Time Commitment: Minimum 2 hours per week for a period of 12 months
Staffordshire Women’s Aid offers a mentoring service for women who are resident in their refuge accommodation.
The service aims to support women to reduce their feelings of isolation, improve their sense of wellbeing, increase their sense of safety and enable them to resettle into the community. The role of the volunteer mentor is to provide meaningful, safe and effective support and mentoring.
- To have volunteered on Staffordshire Women’s Aid’s helpline for a minimum period of four months unless the volunteer has recent and relevant experience / qualifications.
DROP IN SUPPORT VOLUNTEER
Time Commitment: Minimum 2 hours per fortnight
Staffordshire Women’s Aid holds a fortnightly coffee and craft drop-in for refuge residents.
- To welcome women to the drop-in and assist with the provision of refreshments.
- To support women to settle in to the group and encourage them to participate.
To apply for any of these roles, application forms can be requested directly from Emma Withers on 01785 782758 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
For any further information get in touch with us at email@example.com
All the best,