How did we do?
Give your Feedback here!
Waste Management, Recycling and Energy Saving Initiatives
- We have a responsibility as an organisation to manage our waste, especially in view of the ever-increasing problem of landfill waste on the environment. Consideration is always sought in trying to minimise the amount of waste generated and wherever possible to recycle waste.
- We are mindful that waste is handled, stored and disposed of in a way which does not pollute the environment and does not create health hazards for University staff, students or visitors.
Procedures on waste management for each area:
- Administration departments’ management of waste. Staff to be shown procedures and systems in place for paper recycling, cardboard recycling, printer cartridge recycling and general waste.
- Catering management of waste. Staff to be shown procedures and systems in place for food waste, general waste, cardboard recycling and used catering oil waste.
- Bars management of waste. Staff to be shown procedures and systems in place for the recycling of glass waste, recycling cardboard and paper recycling and general waste.
- Shop management of waste. Staff to be shown procedures and systems in place for the recycling of cardboard, paper recycling, food and general waste.
- Cleaning, Maintenance and Security departments’ management of waste. Staff to be shown procedures and systems in place for the recycling of cardboard, glass, paper and printer cartridges and for the safe disposal of food, spent lighting, electrical and general waste.
- Staff to be aware that any equipment purchased should be energy efficient. Keele SU’s sustainable procurement policy should be followed.
- Staff to be shown lighting plans for their area and to be encouraged to switch off lights and equipment wherever possible when leaving an area.
- Staff to be encouraged to report leaking taps, faulty door closers/windows or anything that is deemed to waste energy.
- Feedback from staff on any energy-saving initiatives should be encouraged.
- Lift saving schemes between staff should be encouraged and promoted
- All staff should be made aware of the fact that Keele SU provides cycle stands and shower room facilities for staff that choose to cycle into work.