Council Tax

Council tax information for full-time, part-time and continuation students

Do full-time students have to pay Council Tax?

Full-time students are exempt from paying council tax. To count as full time your course must last at least a year and involve at least 21 hours of study per week. 


If everyone in your property is a full-time student the whole household will be exempt.


If you are sharing with someone who is not a full-time student the household will not be exempt and any non-student would be liable. However, if only one of you isn't a full-time student that person would be counted as a 'single person occupant' and get a 25% reduction.


Full-time students include:


• Students enrolled on a full-time university course;

• Students doing a placement as part of a full-time course; 

• Students enrolled on a full-time course who are doing resits on a part-time basis or without attendance, e.g. modular repeats or reassessments without attendance;

• Students who have suspended, but not ended, their studies e.g. taken a Leave of Absence.

How do I prove I'm a full-time student?

The University sends a list of full-time students to the local councils of Newcastle-under-Lyme, Stoke-on-Trent and Cheshire East. However, we still advise contacting your local council to tell them your name is on the list and to make sure they don't send you a bill. If you're living in another council area or if there are any problems with the list you can send them a student status letter - you can find this by logging into KLE, then clicking on 'The Office' from the top right hand side of the screen. Select 'eVision' from the homepage, then 'Common Actions' and then select the 'My Status Letter'. If you have any problems you can contact Student Services at


It is very important that you don't ignore correspondence from the council as they will keep pursuing you for council tax until they've confirmed your student status and you could still be liable for any costs the council has incurred, such as debt collectors and court fees, in spite of your council tax exemption. Make sure you contact the council as soon as possible and if you need any help you can come to ASK.

What happens at the end of my course?

You will become liable for council tax until the end of your tenancy, even if you move out early. This could mean you are liable for council tax in this area from early July to August-September, depending on the official end date of your course. It is your responsibility to contact the council to tell them you're moving out and make sure you pay any council tax you are liable for, as costs can escalate quickly if you don't pay.

Do part-time students have to pay Council Tax?

Unfortunately, part-time students are not exempt from paying council tax. The only exception is if you are officially a full-time student but are repeating the year on a part-time basis.


However, if you are the only adult in the house or everyone else is a full-time student you would be classed as a 'single person occupant' and get a 25% reduction. You may also qualify for Council Tax Support (see our Benefits page for more information).

I'm a research student on continuation status, do I have to pay Council Tax?

Full-time Postgraduate Research continuation students will still be exempt from council tax and their names will be included on the list of full-time students sent to the local councils. If you're having any problems with the council, please get in touch with us.

I recently graduated and have started a postgraduate degree - do I owe Council Tax for the time between studying?

Yes, you will owe Council Tax from the date your last course finished until the start date of your new course.

Do I have to pay Council Tax if I'm on Leave of Absence?

You are still classed as a full-time student while you're on leave from your studies so you won't owe Council Tax. Your name will be included in the list of students sent to the councils.