Advice on consumer rights and how to access legal support

From time to time we all need legal advice, however, it can be difficult and confusing knowing where to start. ASK is able to offer advice on some of your legal rights and responsibilities but if your issue is specialised it may be that you do need to speak to a lawyer.

It is important that you choose the right lawyer, are aware of the costs involved and go prepared for your appointment. You can go here to see a list of solicitors in the Keele area.


Legal Costs

The costs involved in taking legal action are complex and there is a lot to consider. Make sure you are clear on the different ways of paying for a lawyer.


Some types of legal action, and people in certain circumstances, can get help towards the cost through Legal Aid. Use this checker to see if you qualify.


If you don't qualify for legal help you can read about going to court or tribunal without the help of a lawyer.  

Consumer Rights

Things don't always go to plan when buying goods and services but you do always have rights.


Have a look through the information topics that are available at Citizens Advice, plus information about the changes that the Consumer Rights Act 2015 brought in on 1st October 2015. 


The Citizens Advice Consumer Service website also has a wealth of information, practical tips and template letters to help you resolve your issues. If you need more help you can get advice from them in by email and by calling the specialist telephone adviceline


Always seek advice from ASK before taking court action regarding goods and services - there might be other options! 


Make sure you also have a look at the Metropolitan Police 'Little Book of Big Scams' to arm yourself against against scams

Useful Support Contacts

Keele University's Legal Advice Clinics provide law students with the opportunity to advise clients while supervised by experienced solicitors. It is free to access and they can advise on commercial law and divorce law.


Advocate - a charity helping to find free legal assistance from volunteer barristers.


Victim Support - helping you to understand the criminal justice system.


Citizens Advice Bureau - explains legal and civil rights and how you should be treated by the police and prison system.


Independent Office for Police Conduct - investigates complaints and allegations of misconduct against the police in England and Wales.


Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office - working to keep Britain safe, make Britain prosperous and support British nationals overseas.


Legal Aid - information provided by GOV.UK.


Your Rights on Arrest