Money being deposited into a slot at the top of a house


Learn about what your landlord should do with your deposit

When you start a new tenancy your landlord will ask you to pay a security or damage deposit, usually worth a month's rent. This money is held throughout your tenancy in case you are responsible for any damage or fail to pay the landlord any money you owe. It should be returned to you, minus any agreed deductions, at the end of the tenancy.

Tenancy Deposit Scheme has produced a short video about deposits, which you can watch below then read on for more information and how ASK can help you. 



What can I do to make sure I'm not charged for damage I didn't cause?