What is a guarantor and how/why to get one


Some landlords/agents will insist that you have a guarantor.  If you have a joint tenancy the guarantor needs to understand that they will generally have the same liabilities as you do.  This will mean that even if you pay your rent your guarantor could be responsible for paying any rent that you owe and potentially the cost of any repairs for damage to the property.  The liability of the guarantor will depend on what has been agreed in the guarantor form.  The guarantor needs to check the tenancy and the guarantor form and possibly negotiate to limit their liability.

Model guarantor agreement – This is a model guarantor agreement provided by Unipol Student Homes to limit guarantor liability to one person’s share of the rent. Please note, by permitting you to use this guarantor agreement, neither Unipol Student Homes nor KeeleSU are providing any warranty as to the correctness or validity of this document and you use it at your own risk.


Don't have a guarantor? Keele University may be able to help!

This year the University has started the Keele University Rent Guarantor Scheme, where the University will act as guarantor for up to 25 eligible students. Full information about this scheme, including eligibility and how to apply, is available on the Keele Website and you can contact Student Services at if you have any questions.


Need more information on guarantors? Check out this information from Citizens Advice or Shelter or come and see us in ASK.