Drugs & Alcohol

Information and help on drugs, alcohol and getting help if your drink is spiked

Where can I find information about drugs and their impact?

There are different types of drugs which affect users in different ways. The Frank website has an A-Z list of drugs and their effects, risks and the law


Illegal drugs are divided into three classes; A, B & C.  More information about classes of drugs and penalties for possessing drugs is here.

Where can I go for addiction support?

If you think that you or a friend has a problem with drugs or alcohol it is always helpful to talk to somebody about it.  You can contact ASK for confidential help and advice or speak to Keele Counselling Service


Staffordshire Treatment and Recovery Service (STARS) also provide on-to-one support, group support, health screenings and blood tests, and substitute medication where necessary.


The Community Drugs and Alcohol Service supports adults in the Stoke area, with specialised support and online materials.


Drinkaware have advice pages and tools for reducing your drinking and supporting others who are having problems with drinking. You can also talk to one of their Drinkline advisers by chatting online or calling 0300 123 1110.


Al-Anon Family Groups has a support group in Newcastle-under-Lyme set up to help anyone affected by their relationship with an alcoholic, whether it's a family member, friend or colleague. Al Anon meetings are free, confidential, anonymous (first names only), and non-discriminatory. It is made up of people who have been affected by someone else's drinking, who will understand your situation.

How do I make sure I'm drinking responsibly?

Most people enjoy drinking and find it a sociable and relaxing thing to do. Normally it leads to no harm. But there are times when drinking too much or even drinking at all can cause problems.


Here are some main do's and don'ts regarding alcohol:



  • Drink and drive
  • Operate machinery, use electrical equipment or work at heights after drinking
  • Drink while on certain medications - check labels and ask a doctor if unsure
  • Binge drink - it can lead to health and other problems
  • Be forced into drinking more than you want
  • Accept drinks from other people, particularly strangers



  • Drink moderately, slowly and try to eat before or whilst drinking
  • Abstain for 48 hours, if you have been drinking heavily, to let your body recover
  • Get help from a doctor or specialist agency if you are worried about your drinking


The NHS advises drinking no more than 14 units of alcohol a week, spread over three or more days. There are 14 units in 6 pints of average-strength beer or 10 small glasses of lower-strength wine - you can see more examples of alcohol units on the NHS website. Alcohol Change has an interactive unit calculator to help you understand your intake.


Drinkaware have advice on staying safe while drinking and tools to help you monitor your alcohol intake.

What do I do if I think my drink has been spiked?

If you are off campus, immediately get to a place of safety.  If you are with close friends tell them your worries and get them to take you home as soon as possible. However please be very sure that you implicitly trust the person or friend(s) you are asking to help you.


If you are alone or with a stranger or someone you don't implicitly trust, go to the pub landlord/bar/ nightclub manager and tell them your fears. Get them to put you in a safe place e.g. office whilst they call you a taxi, a trusted friend or your parents to help get you home safely. Under no circumstances let a stranger or acquaintance offer to help you or take you anywhere including to your own home - They could well be the person who spiked your drink!


Drinkaware have a guide to what to do if you think you or someone else has been spiked.


If you've been sexually assaulted following drink spiking


For up-to-date information about what to do you can visit the NHS drink spiking pages. You can also visit our Sexual & Domestic Violence page for information about support available on and off campus


Useful Contact Numbers: 
  • Staffordshire Police emergency number – 999
  • Staffordshire Police non-emergency number – 101
  • University Campus Safety Tel: 01782 733999 | Email: campussafety@keele.ac.uk
  • Students' Union Security - 01782 7 33720
  • Rape Crisis