Safety & Crime

Information on how to stay safe and advice on what to do if you're a victim of crime

SafeZone App

The free Safezone app provides you with quick access to campus security and first responders. You can download the app onto your phone, tablet and computer by visiting app stores and their website.

The University has full information about the app's services on their website.


Safety On-Campus

If you have any concerns about your safety on campus, you can speak to:

  •  ASK - su.ask@keele.ac.uk or 01782 734800
  • Keele SU UDD Officer - su.uddofficer@keele.ac.uk or 01782 733701
  • Campus Security  - 01782 733004 security@keele.ac.uk
  • Emergency number for campus security - 888
  • Keele Police Post - 0845 3303132 (Ext. 08964)
  • Staffordshire Police Non-Emergency  - 101
For personal safety advice for when you are out and about on and off campus, on-line safety and many other useful safety topics go http://www.personalsafetyadvice.co.uk/AdultSafetyCategory.html
Safety Abroad

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office have numerous information leaflets about safety abroad and what to do in an emergency when abroad:

Checklist for Travellers 

Victims of Crime Abroad

Rape and Sexual Assault Abroad

Disabled Travellers

Support for British Nationals Abroad

World Wise

If you have been a victim of crime or witnessed a crime and need to report this, you need to contact Staffordshire Police:

  • For non-emergency calls and enquiries call Staffordshire Police  - 101
  • For emergencies call - 999
  • If you are calling from outside the Staffordshire area call 0300 123 4455 (for non-emergency calls) 
  • To contact Staffordshire Police from abroad call (+44)1785 236211


If you have been a victim of crime Staffordshire Victim Gateway is a free  & confidential service the provides information and advice, or practical and emotional support to victims of crime in Staffordshire even if you haven't reported the crime to the police.

You can contact them at: 0330 0881 339 or at help@staffsvictimsgateway.org.uk


If you have been arrested and want to know your rights, take a look at this leaflet:

Release.org.uk - Bust Card

If you have been arrested and want to contact a local solicitors you can contact Atticus Solicitors based in Newcastle on their emergency 24 hours helpline - 07659 160 538 or non emergency number 01782 629840

If you have a complaint about the Police you can use the Independent Office for Police Conduct complaints procedure. More details and how to do this can be found in the Complaints section of their website

Bar Pro Bono

A charity helping to find free legal assistance from volunteer barristers


Victim Support

Helping you to understand the criminal justice system


Citizens Advice Bureau

Explains legal and civil rights and how you should be treated by the police and prison system


Independent Police Complaints Commission

Investigates complaints and allegations of misconduct against the police in England and Wales


Foreign and Commonwealth Office

Working to keep Britain safe, make Britain prosperous and support British nationals overseas


Legal Aid

Information provided by GOV.UK


Your Rights on Arrest

Information provided by GOV.UK

Information provided by Urban 75