KeeleSU has minibuses for Student Groups and 'University Business' use. KeeleSU vehicles can be booked for at a nominal rate operated under a department of transport section 19 permit.
Vehicles and Costs
KeeleSU has a number of vehicles. Prices for vehicle only are split into categories dependent on vehicle size and user These are:
- Vehicles Categories: 9 seater minibuses (1 driver, 8 passengers), over 9 seater minibuses (maximum is 17 seater) and trailers.
- Payment Categories: INTERNAL (Keele SU departments, Student Groups) and EXTERNAL (University departments)
The above categories fees do not include driver or fuel for which the user must return the vehicle with the same amount of fuel in the tank as when it was collected. VAT will be added to prices for external customers as indicated at the current VAT rate. Prices are per vehicle per day (over 5 hours) or half day (up to 5 hours). Keele SU reserves the right to add additional charges for late returns, returning with less fuel, damaged and not returned in a clean state etc. See below conditions for more info.
KeeleSU can offer an all-inclusive package (including driver and fuel, operated under a department of transport section 19 permit), which we quote fares on an individual basis. Please contact us for more info.
- An enquiry made to Keele SU Transport online, email or phone. Information provided and quoted emailed.
- User completes a booking form online and driver declaration process is completed by the driver.
- Payment for use is made via invoice/transfer.
- The booking will be added to the calendar and the booking confirmed.
- Day of use: The Driver must collect and return the keys from 'The Hub' (Groundfloor of the SU), if closed, contact the Duty Manager on 01782 733666
Booking Terms & Conditions and Other Details
- All bookings must be made a minimum of 3 days in advance. All bookings must be made via the online vehicle booking form (on the KeeleSU website www.keelesu.com/vehiclehire) or by emailing email@example.com
- KeeleSU reserves the right to refuse any booking.
- All bookings will be securitised before the booking is confirmed. Booking may be refused dependant on “the reason for use” of the vehicle.
- Vehicles are available most times, however, there are certain times (mainly evenings/nights) during semester time where some vehicles are already in use for other Keele SU services so are unable to be booked.
- All bookings are taken on a first come first served basis. Keele SU will endeavour to accept all bookings and to facilitate this Keele SU can change buses around of similar description of the specification.
- Block bookings can only be made in advance for a maximum of 1 semester.
- All bookings may be cancelled by the user or Keele SU with a minimum of 1 weeks’ notice (excluding physical issues/safety with the vehicles where no notice may be given by Keele SU). Cancellation by the user with less than 48 hours notice will still require full payment to be made.
For all vehicles:
- All drivers must have held their license for a minimum of 2 years (from the date the test was passed) and be 21 years of age or over.
- There must be no current endorsements, disqualifications or penalties on the license.
- The driver must have no medical conditions which may affect there driving or conditions which are reportable to the DVLA.
- The driver must also declare any recent personal motor insurance claims and accidents or refusal of insurance.
In addition to the above for minibuses over 9 Seats:
Drivers of minibuses with more than 9 seats must have the D1 entitlement on their license in order to drive for hire or reward purposes. Drivers of a normal car (B) license can drive up to 16 passenger seats as long as the following is met:
- You drive on behalf of a non-commercial body for social purposes but not for hire or reward (unless operating under a permit);
- You are aged 21 or over;
- You have held a car (category B) license for at least 2 years;
- You are providing your service on a voluntary basis;
- The minibus maximum weight is not more than 3.5 tonnes excluding any specialist equipment for the carriage of disabled passengers.
Drivers who do not have D1 must not accept any hire or reward for their services. It must be completely voluntary. It is the responsibility of the driver and user to ensure this is met. The driver is responsible for ensuring they hold the correct license to drive the vehicle used.
Only approved pre-booked drivers are permitted to drive KeeleSU vehicles. Allowing other unapproved persons to drive would invalidate insurance so would be driving illegally and is in breach of these terms and conditions of use.
By completeing the booking process and driver declaration form you are declaring that the above particulars are true and correct to the best of your knowledge and that no material information which would affect the vehicles insurer’s assessment or acceptance of this risk has been withheld.
The driver solely holds the responsibility to ensure they meet the above conditions at all times and a driver MUST inform Keele SU of any changes in circumstances to the declaration. Declarations must also re-take place on an annual basis during the current University academic year.
Keys can be collected at the arranged time of booking from the Hub. For outside normal KeeleSU operating hours, it can be arranged for the keys to be collected in advance. If so you must not enter or drive the vehicle until the agreed times of booking.
From the point the keys are handed over to the driver, the driver and user are completely responsible for the vehicle. Keele SU will ensure at all times when the vehicle is used that it is fully insured and road legal (Taxed and MOT’d). Also, there is a breakdown service available.
The driver takes full responsibility for their driving. The driver must obey the Highway Code and laws of the road at all times. Any offences are committed by the person driving the vehicle at the time and they would incur any offences, penalties or legal proceedings. Keele SU will take no responsibly nor will it incur any costs or penalties of this nature. Likewise, any civil enforcement penalties (e.g. parking fines) will be passed onto the person who was driving at the time.
Please note, the keys must be returned promptly to KeeleSU or if arranged, to 24-hour University Security. Failure to return the keys on time will result in additional charges at another full day’s appropriate rate for each day it is late. Return of the vehicle and keys are the responsibility of the driver. The vehicle must be checked before departure and a check sheet completed. Charges are to be paid at the time of booking. (Societies and University Departments or AU may be invoiced or transferred see above). It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that all passengers wear their seatbelts.
If the vehicle was to break down you must pull over safely and put the hazard lights on. You can contact the AA direct (details kept in the vehicle). All vehicles run on DIESEL. Under no circumstance should any other fuel be used. If another fuel is used in error DO NOT START THE VEHICLE and AA breakdown assistance. You will be charged for any costs incurred as a result of putting incorrect fuel in the vehicle.
IF YOU ARE INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT, STOP, DO NOT MOVE THE VEHICLE UNLESS IT IS IN A DANGEROUS POSITION, EVACUATE THE PASSENGERS IF THERE IS A RISK OF FIRE, PUT ON YOUR HAZARD LIGHTS, CHECK FOR INJURIES AND IF NECESSARY CALL THE EMERGENCY SERVICES. GIVE YOUR NAME AND KEELE SU DETAILS AND THE REGISTRATION NUMBER TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE REASONABLE GROUNDS FOR REQUIRING THEM. IF ANYONE IS INJURED CALL AN AMBULANCE AND THE POLICE. TAKE DETAILS OF ANY WITNESSES; TAKE THE DETAILS OF OTHER PARTIES INVOLVED. DO NOT ADMIT LIABILITY; DO NOT DISCUSS THE ACCIDENT WITH ANYONE OTHER THAN THE POLICE. INFORM KEELE SU AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
The vehicle must be returned as clean and tidy as possible and in the state as it was collected. Please remove all rubbish and belongings. The vehicle should not be excessively dirty. Additional penalty charges may be applied if the vehicle is returned in an unsatisfactory condition.
Charges would also be imposed for malicious damages or damage caused by careless driving at least to the value of the damaged item/part including repair/labour costs. The vehicle must be returned in the same state as collected. The vehicle should be returned with the same amount of fuel as when it was collected. Keele SU reserves the right to make additional charges if the vehicle is brought back with a lesser amount.
For any accidents, the user would be charged any insurance excess or other costs if it was deemed by the insurance company or Keele SU for the person to be at fault. There is a strict no food or drink policy to be consumed in the vehicle. Also as a shared use vehicle, it is against the law to smoke inside any Keele SU vehicle.
Keele SU does not accept any responsibility for loss or damage to persons or personal property or items during the use.
By making the booking you are agreeing to all the above information and conditions. KeeleSU Reserves the right to alter these terms and conditions at any point without prior notice.