As a registered charity, we have a Board of Trustees to oversee key decision making which relates to our future. Trustees volunteer their time to make sure that we make sound financial decisions, obey legal frameworks and respond to the needs of students.
There are 11 trustees of KeeleSU made up of students, full-time officers, and external trustees!
Your current trustee board is made up of the following people:
- Miles Venvil - Officer Trustee
- Mari Chappell- Officer Trustee
- Jack Karimi - Officer Trustee and Chair of the Board
- Holly Brooks - Officer Trustee
- Leroy Cohoone - Officer Trustee
- Alicia Hallatt* - Student Trustee
- Mevin Philip - Student Trustee
- Mustafa Dashti - Student Trustee
- Lynn King - External Trustee
- Val Newman - External Trustee
- Marilyn Andrews - External Trustee
*awaiting confirmation of student approval at UGM
View minutes from this year's trustee meetings.
Their responsibility is to make sure that our mission and vision reflects the wishes of the members (you!). They are also responsible for the effective management and administration of your Students' Union, through the Union Directors.
Student Trustees attend the union’s trustee board meetings and are responsible for ensuring good governance and the financial stability of the organisation, as well as contributing towards the overall strategy. The trustees hold senior staff to account and set the staffing and financial policies of the union.
Full training is given for this role. This role would suit someone who is keen to scrutinise the operations of the union, and interested in having their say over how the union is run. Below are the Constitutional requirements of a Student Trustee (defined in Article 35 of the constitution).
Key Responsibilities of Trustees. The Trustees shall:
- At all times act in the best interests of KeeleSU.
- Ensure that the Union complies with its governing documents, all applicable laws and statutory regulations or any regulations of any governmental, quasi-governmental, supra-national or other competent agency (including, without limitation, all health and safety legislation) in force from time to time.
- Ensure that KeeleSU’s governance is of the highest possible standard and quality.
- Be guardians of all KeeleSUs assets, both tangible and intangible, taking all due care over their security, deployment and proper application.
- Work in partnership with other Trustees, the Operations Managers and other senior staff in ensuring that KeeleSU has a clear vision, mission, and strategic direction and is focused on their delivery.
- Ensure there are effective mechanisms in place to:
- listen to the views of current and future Members;
- ensure student views are at the heart of everything the University does;
- evidence the impact of KeeleSU on the diverse student membership;
- review the external environment for changes that might affect KeeleSU;
- continually re-assess the need for KeeleSU and the services it does or could provide and review regularly against its strategic plan and charitable objectives.
Other Duties of the trustees
- In addition to the above duties, each Trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions.