Any refrigeration appliances purchased for use within the Students’ Union should carry an EU Ecolabel rating.
The appliance must have an energy efficiency class of A, A+ or A++
And preferably have the following criteria:
- The refrigerants in the refrigerating circuit and foaming agents used for the insulation of the appliances shall have an ozone depletion potential equal to zero.
- The refrigerants in the refrigerating circuit and foaming agents used for the insulation of the appliance shall have a global warming potential equal to, or lower than, 15
- A minimum of a two-year guarantee must be offered with the certainty that parts for the refrigerator will be available for a minimum of 12 years from purchase date.
- The manufacturer must take back the refrigerator at or recycle at the end of its lifecycle at no additional cost.
- The type of refrigerant and foaming agent used for the insulation shall be indicated on the appliance, near to or on the rating plate, to facilitate possible future recovery.
- Clear and full instructions must be included with the refrigerator including details on where to site the unit and general best practices.
- Airborne noise from the appliance, counted as sound power, shall not exceed 40 dB(A)
- Packaging should be recyclable and where cardboard is used, at least 80% must have been recycled material.
Commercial refrigeration equipment commissioned by KeeleSU should adhere to the following specifications:
- Ozone friendly refrigerant
- Conform to central European temperature specification of 32 degrees centigrade
- Does not contain ozone-depleting insulation foam or similar.
- Has an electronic temperature/defrost controller for precise operation and monitoring capability
- Procured from a recognised British manufacturer
- Thought to be given to post-sale availability of after-sales service and emergency breakdown cover
- Designed to operate at the required temperature for produce
- Would an integral compressor motor increase local room temperature to an unacceptable level?
- Would a remote compressor unit be needed?
What regular maintenance would be required and what would the cost be. Maintenance agreements should be set up with local bona fide businesses to minimise travel.
Electricity supply to commercial refrigeration equipment should be UK/EU specification 220-230V (415V three-phase if required).