Mental Health

Support services and helplines for when you're struggling with your mental health, including support for eating disorders and bereavement

The University has a free counselling service on campus, which is still operating remotely. You can visit the Counselling webpage for information about their service, how to contact them, and for some great self-help resources. 

Keele students can now access the Health Assured Student Assistance Programme (SAP). This service offers students access to support via a 24 hour confidential helpline, the ‘My Healthy Advantage’ app, and online portal too. The services include mental health support from trained counsellors and advisors who are ready to listen and provide help on issues including emotional and physical health, mental health, counselling, relationships, managing stress and anxiety, money issues, and legal information. More information about Health Assured is on the Keele website.

You can also talk to your GP to discuss support, which could include accessing NHS mental health services or trying medication.


Keele Start to Success Project

Start to Success is a two-year project which aims to develop a whole community approach to support the mental health and wellbeing of students, led by Keele and Staffordshire University. The region’s universities, colleges, local authorities, police and NHS providers have come together with a common purpose to remove barriers, improve support and services, and enable student success.


Talk to them anytime you like, in your own way, and off the record – about whatever’s getting to you. 


PAPYRUS - Prevention of young suicide

Provides confidential help and advice to young people and anyone worried about a young person

Tel: 0800 068 41 41



Shout 85258 is a free, confidential, 24/7 text messaging support service for anyone who is struggling to cope. By texting the word ‘SHOUT’ to 85258 you will start a conversation with a trained Shout Volunteer, who will text you back and forth, sharing only what you feel comfortable with.


Staffordshire Mental Health Helpline

Weekdays 7pm - 2am Weekends 2pm-2am by phone 08088 002234 and by email


Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Wellbeing Service 

0300 303 0923


Beat - Beating Eating Disorders

Providing helplines, support & a network of UK self-help groups to help people in the UK beat their eating disorders. Tel: 0845 634 1414.


MindLine Trans+

Specific mental health helpline for trans+, A gender, gender fluid and non-binary /people wanting to talk about their gender identity for the whole of the UK.


The Dove Service

After someone dies, you may experience natural feelings of numbness, sadness, anger or feeling unable to cope.  It is also common to have difficulties with eating, sleeping, poor concentration, headaches and other physical symptoms. If you have suffered from a bereavement and feel the need to talk to someone about how you feel, Dove is a local organisation based in Hanley that can help. You can go to their website for more information and contact details.


Mental Health Foundation - Committed to reducing the suffering caused by mental ill health and to help everyone lead mentally healthier lives

Sane - Working to raise mental health awareness, combat the stigma and increase understanding

BBC Mental Health - Providing information on emotional health, mental health disorders, coping techniques, therapy and understanding prescription drugs

Student Minds - The Royal College of Psychiatrists has user-friendly information and advice about mental health problems and treatments. They also have a Look after your Mate resource. 

Students Against Depression - Offering advice, information, guidance & resources to those affected by low mood, depression & suicidal thinking

Stamp Out Suicide - For positive steps forward in suicide prevention

British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy - You can find therapists all over the UK.

Depression self-assessment - There are many symptoms of depression, including low mood, feelings of hopelessness, low self-esteem, lethargy and sleep problems. This test will help you to assess whether you could be suffering from depression. 

Managing stress - For information about how to reduce and manage stress have a look at the Mental Health Foundations booklet - Manage and Reduce Stress.

If you're struggling with an assignment, you can submit an Exceptional Circumstances claim to ask for an extension or further assessment attempt. Make sure you submit a claim before a written assignment is due, or by the deadline your School has set for exam periods. More information is on our Exceptional Circumstances page.

If your illness is more long-term you may want to consider taking a Leave of Absence, either for a few weeks or until the next academic year. You can read about the Leave of Absence process on the University's webpage.

Report an issue with this page